Thursday, June 18, 2015

#TBT: The Lord of the Flies

Welcome to the revival of my throwback Thursday theme! Each week I will revisit a book that has a memorable impact upon me in the history of me reading.  This week's book is definitely one of those that has had a great impact on me and is one of my best memories from high school.


The Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Most of you know the premise of this book, what it stands for and what it exposes about our society in general.  This compelling novel is as much a provocative, debate starting book as it was in 1952 when it was first published.  This is one of the few books that will ALWAYS be in my library in some way, shape or form (digital or print).  

I do enjoy reading it and taking it in and allowing it to remind me of exactly what humanity is capable of when pushed to its limits.  Not all situations are ideal, not all outcomes are ideal.  

My most memorable interaction with this book was in my 10th grade English class. This was shortly after I'd changed schools thanks to moving literally across the street from where I'd been living before.  We spent a couple of weeks to a month working with this book between tests, papers, projects, and reading the book.  

During each class meeting, we would have five minutes at the beginning of class and about five to ten minutes at the end of class where we would be allowed to interact with the teacher.  The moment the lights flicked off and then back on, we were essentially in an environment where we were not allowed to interact with adults (namely the teacher - with exceptions of course).  We were given our assignments and had to complete them together to the best of our ability.  

I remember my final project for this particular unit, and wish I could find the picture (I might have it somewhere if one exists).  I created an edible version of the island where the boys spent their time. It was cake, and various little plastic pieces that could be removed - and there was green frosting, and the whole nine yards.  I'd gotten an A in the course. 

1 comment: