Sunday, July 26, 2015

Book of the Week: July 26-Aug 1 - Wicked


Welcome to this week's Book of the Week!  This week I am choosing one that is by far one of my favorite re-tellings of one of my favorite fairy tales...

WICKED
Gregory Maguire

 


This book...just *sigh* I now, thanks to a good friend of mine own two copies, both of them paperback.  I'm sharing both covers because I absolutely LOVE both covers.  If I ever have the money and the chance, I WILL see this musical.  This book, this series in general is absolutely by far one of my favorite re-tellings of The Wizard of Oz stories, and it's absolutely wonderful.  

We know all about Dorothy and her triumph over the Wicked Witch of the West...however, what is the Witch's back story?  Where did she come from? Who is she really?  These are questions that are answered in Gregory Maguire's books.  Maguire creates a view of Oz that makes us never look at it the same way again.  From the Animals who want to be recognized as first-class citizens, Munchkinlanders wanting middle-class stability, the Tin Man a victim of domestic violence, and so much more.  

We follow Elphaba, a little green-skinned Munchkinlander, who will ultimately grow up to be that infamous Witch who dies at the hands of Dorothy, the Cowardly Lion, the Scarecrow, and the Tin Man and a well placed bucket of water.  

I highly recommend you give this book a try, especially if you love The Wizard of Oz, it will definitely be one of those books you keep coming back to! 

No comments:

Post a Comment