Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Review: Eighth Grade Bites



Title: Eighth Grade Bites
Author: Heather Brewer
Format: Paperback
Date Read: June 3, 2016
Rating: 3/5
Recommend: Yup!

Summary: Thirteen-year-old Vladimir Tod has to keep his vampire urges under control while dealing with the pressures of middle school, and he hates junior high. His mother was human, his father a vampire. Vlad has no idea what his powers are, however he has to struggle daily with blood cravings and enlarged fangs. A substitute teacher makes him think his cover might soon be blown, however Vlad has bigger problems – he's being hunted by a vampire killer.

Review:

Checked this book out on a whim from the local library. Quite glad I did. I will eventually be getting to the rest of the books in this series. However, let's focus on this one, Vlad's introduction into the world.

Being thirteen is hard enough, let alone being a thirteen-year-old boy. Compound the usual pressures of being a teenager with the fact that you are a vampire. While normal teenage boys are dealing with hormonal ridden urges, Vlad is trying to manage his blood cravings and the fact that his fangs keep getting bigger. Seriously, as if puberty wasn't bad enough!

Along with puberty comes the nightmare that is middle school. Middle school isn't easy on anyone. Eighth grade is by far one of the most difficult, simply because it is your last year there before you ultimately have to enter the even bigger nightmare that is high school. Vladimir is by far one of my favorite characters, and he is quite different than any other vampire I've read about before. I love that this story was free of excessive moodiness and angstiness, and it made Vlad and the story a bit more relate-able. Relate-able in the sense that I've been a thirteen year old and have suffered the hell that is eighth grade.

This is a good beginning to a series, and there is so much room for growth and I ultimately look forward to reading more of this series soon.


I apologize if this review seems rambling and repetitive, it's been a while and I'm still getting my feet back under me when it comes to my reviews.   

No comments:

Post a Comment