Wednesday, July 29, 2015

What's on My Kindle? Non-Fiction


Welcome to this week's What's On My Kindle?  Where I share with you some of the things I've picked up through Amazon and have read or intend to read in the probably not too distant future.  This week, I've chosen to share with you some of the nonfiction and biographical works that I have currently on my kindle.

These, I've actually read, and recommend having tissues with some of them.  Some of them are not nice stories, but then again how many of our lives are all nice.  Anyway, without further adieu, here is the list of some of the most recently read works of non-fiction on my Kindle.

Non-Fiction/Biographical Works

1.) A Child el Confino - Eric Lamet

This book, is the true story of a young Jewish boy and his mother in Mussolini's Italy.  There are high points, low points, and ultimately points that made me cry during the course of this story.  This is by far one of my favorite time periods to read about, the stories of survivors, even the stories of those that did not survive, but have been told through those that did are some of the most heartbreaking, and yet the most inspirational.

This is the story of Eric Lamet and his mother, whose lives are forever changed at the rise of Hitler and his desire to rid the world of the Jewish population and anyone non-Aryan.  They go from living in Vienna, Italy to living further and further into the mountains to avoid the fate of so many other of Europe's Jewish population.

I highly recommend this story to continue to learn other perspectives of those who survived this nightmare. 

2.) Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account - Miklos Nyiszli

This story takes place in Auschwitz...the camp where so very, very many Jews died during the Holocaust.  This story begins in 1944 when Hitler's army invaded Hungary, and the entire Hungarian Jewish population was sent to Auschwitz.

A Jew and a doctor, Miklos Nyiszli was spared from death, in exchange for a much, much grimmer fate.  He was expected to perform "scientific experiments" on his fellow inmates under the man who ultimately became known as the "Angel of Death" - Dr. Josef Mengele.

He was Mengele's personal pathologist, and doctor to the Sonderkommando, the prisoners in charge of the creamtoriums and executed every four months.  Somehow, Nyiszli survived to give this sobering, horrific account of his time in Auschwitz.
3.) The Life and Prayers of Saint Patrick - Wyatt North

This is one of two books I have on my Kindle by Mr. North.  I actually like his writing style, and the fact that he's provided information about two of the people that are most inspirational to me: Saint Patrick and Mother Theresa.  I will not be featuring his Mother Theresa book on this list, but I do have it! 
Anyway, this particular book is part biography and part prayer book.  There are many of his own original writings, and we learn that Ireland, for Patrick was bittersweet.  Also, the original color for Saint Patrick's feast day, was blue not green.

Ireland, though a bittersweet location for Patrick, was also the home of his spiritual awakening - which is more than likely what spurred him into making the conversion of the country his mission.
I highly suggest this read, learning of the life and prayers of this Saint will definitely provide you with some inspiration. 
I do have a few others in this category, including a book about a boy with Autism who had a very big love for Snow White, 3500: An Autistic Boy's Ten-Year Romance with Snow White.  This was a wonderful read.  I also have Roasting in Hell's Kitchen Gordon Ramsay's book, as well as Mother Theresa: A Life Inspired by Wyatt North. 

No comments:

Post a Comment