Friday, June 22, 2012

Review: Survival by A.M. Hargrove


Title: Survival (The Guardians of Vesturon #1)
Author: A.M. Hargrove
Rating:  5/5

Summary:   Nineteen-year-old Maddie is abducted by a psychopath, and manages to narrowly escape with her life.  However, her rescuer is an enigma, and opens up Maddie to a world that she has trouble accepting as reality.  She then has some choices to make, to return to the mundane world, or to follow this mysterious stranger who may have some key to her future.


Review:    This book is by far one of my favorites, and it is so full of emotions.  I laughed and cried and laughed again.  It also helps that there are some swoon-worthy sexy men in this story (Rayn and his brothers).  With the amount of well thought out characters in this book, A.M. Hargrove, did an epic job of ensuring that we knew who was speaking and when, especially during the final scenes of this book when the point of view constantly jumped around. 
I fell in love with Maddie as a female lead, she is fun and carefree, but she has her own skeletons to deal with – the death of her parents and keeping her emotions bottled up instead of talking about them. She is one of those characters that are easy to like, however, there were a few inconsistancies with her that I was able to get past for the most part. 

Rayn, how could you not fall in love with him?!  He is sweet and caring and pretty much everything that a girl could want.  I love reading his point of view, his love for Maddie and the conflict that it creates in him, and yet you still know that he would do anything for her.

The different points of view was well managed, and the transitions between the points of view was handled in such a way that there was no confusion. One of my biggest issues was the initial switch from Maddie to Rayn and we had to once more experience everything all over again but from a different perspective.  It however, did nothing ot chance the story or give us new information other than further show us Rayn’s feelings for Maddie, which didn’t need quite so far a trip back in time. 

I have to bow down to A.M. Hargrove for her absolutely wonderful imagery.  The descriptions of the scenery, mountains, and etc, was so very beautiful, and it made me wish that I was there.  The creation of this world made me want to hike again and there is no such place here where I could adequately hike and emerse myself in something as vivid as this world that she’d created.  Her writing style, is definitely one that I enjoyed and kept the flow of the story done quite well.  In truth the only issue I had with this book was the cliff-hanger ending! Seirously?! GAH!

If you have any questions, comments or recommendations you can contact me at simplicity.kindreth@gmail.com
My reviews can be found here:
http://www.caedyslibrary.blogspot.com
http://www.tumblr.com/caedy
http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/caesreviews

No comments:

Post a Comment