Saturday, January 30, 2016

Review: Throne of Glass


Title: Throne of Glass
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Format: Ebook (Kindle)
Pages: 432 
Date(s) Read: July 6-15, 2015
Rating: 4 (Originally 5)

Summary:
After serving a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged home before the Crown Prince.  She's offered her freedom, but on the condition she acts as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.  When her opponents begin turning up dead, it is up to Celaena to find out who is killing them off (if she can) before it's too late. 

Review: 

Okay, in the time it has taken me to review this book, I've opted to give it one less star than I originally gave it at the time.  This, however, does not mean that I enjoyed the book any less.  It was a very good read.  

I was more or less hooked from the very beginning, the plot at least to me wasn't entirely as solid as it could have been.  Little things here and there kept throwing me, and it did give me a bit of a vibe for the Poison Study series by Maria Snyder.  However, it had its moments that pulled it enough away from that series to ensure that it could and would ultimately stand on its own.  Premise, however, does at least to me scream Poison Study because our dear heroine is rescued from prison, given a chance to live, no further charges, however if she fails then there is only death. 

The writing was very good, and I do commend Maas on her talent.  The prose was good, and ultimately I will be finishing the series - hopefully I'll manage to skip over the cliches that tend to abound in her writing and the rest of the series continues to diverge from it's likeness to Poison Study.

No comments:

Post a Comment