Thursday, May 24, 2012

Book Review: Fresh Flesh by Todd Russell



Title:  Fresh Flesh
Author:  Todd Russell
Rating: 4/5

Summary:  The ocean surrounds the secret.
Last night a wicked storm swept a beautiful sacrifice onto the shore.
Shipwrecked Jessica Stanton is about to be discovered, cherished, and trained to survive on a remote island by a man who is not what he seems.
There is a place on earth where unrestrained evil flourishes.
Welcome home, Jessica.(Taken from Goodreads.com)


Review:  From the title, one would expect a zombie story, however this is most definitely not a zombie story.  More so it can be classified as a modernized pulp story, and it is a cross of Battle Royale, Lord of the Flies and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. 

It took me a few pages to get into the story, but with that nagging gut feeling that the twisted part of my mind that adored books like this told me to keep reading and I’m quite glad that I did.  I was sucked onto the island with the rest of them as their back stories began to unfold, and as I learned more and more about them I wasn’t exactly sure what in the heck to expect.  The ending was bittersweet, but as this was pretty much a horror story, it was fitting and I wouldn’t have expected anything less. 

This is one of those stories that lingers with you, and it is most definitely going to linger in the dark corners of my mind for quite some time.


If you have any questions, comments or recommendations you can contact me at simplicity.kindreth@gmail.com
My reviews can be found here:
http://caedyslibrary.blogspot.com
http://www.tumblr.com/caedy
http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/caesreviews

No comments:

Post a Comment