Monday, December 14, 2015

Book of the Week: 12/13-12/19: Rags & Bones - Melissa Marr


Welcome to this week's book of the week! Sorry, I'm a day late!  This week's book is a book I've recently finished (and by recently...I mean about 4ish hours ago). I've always had a soft spot for anthologies filled with stories from authors that I love, and this book definitely falls into that love of anthologies. 

Without further prattling from me, I give you this week's book of the week: 

Rags & Bones
New Twists on Timeless Tales
Editors
Melissa Marr and Tim Pratt


Seriously, this book is absolutely fantastic and filled with wonderful retellings of classic, timeless tales.  There are also included in this anthology, six absolutely wonderful illustrations that make me wish I could be a part of them (or at least draw as good as Charles Vess!  The artwork is just as good as the storytelling in this book, and it wouldn't be the same without those little pieces of illustrated heaven. 

Each of these timeless tales have been rewritten, reworked into a twenty-first century perspective and retold in the genre the author is most known for: science fiction, dystopian fiction, fantasy and even realistic fiction.  The Faerie Queen by Sir Edmund Spencer paired next to "The Machine Stops" by E.M. Forester.  These are just two of the timeless tales that are reimagined in this wonderful volume.  We learn a little bit of some of these authors in the notes that follow each section, from the stories that inspired them, awed them, and even enraged them.  

I highly encourage you to check this book out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment