Sunday, July 14, 2013

What's on My Kindle? - The Mortal Instruments

Welcome to the fifth installment of What's On My Kindle?

What exactly is What's On My Kindle?  This is my own little thing that I am going to be getting out every Sunday.  Within this post I'll list a few of the books that are currently on my TBR list on my Kindle.  Some are freebies (or were when I bought them), and others I paid for with gift cards, or had a few spare bucks to spend on a book.

All of them, I fully intend on getting to, at some point (and taking a massive chisel to my to-read list and hopefully hack it down to under 1000, again).

I am crazy for YA Series, and this one ranks amongst my top ten YA series.  The Mortal Instrument Series by Cassandra Clare will be the next book to movie series, that will be turning up in theaters soon. 

This series at the moment has five books in it, and the sixth book is currently in the works and slated for publication in 2014.  I've not read books two through five yet, but they are definitely on my TBR list at the moment and I'm delighting in getting back to the series.  Here are the titles and a bit of a blurb on them, blurbs taken from Goodreads.

1. City of Bones: When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

I will probably begin reading this one toward the end of the year, I'll re-read it before I read further into the series because it's been a little over a year since I last read this book. 

2. City of Ashes: Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go — especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil — and also her father.

This one, I am definitely looking forward to, to see how Cassandra Clare progresses her series and I know several people who are greatly invested in this series and highly recommend this series.

3. City of Glass: To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters - never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

Again, I've met people who love this book and who hate it.  I love hearing from other people before I read  books, but ultimately I do not let their opinion impair my own opinion of the books that I read because I don't need anything coloring my reviews.  

4. City of Fallen Angels: The Mortal War is over, and sixteen-year-old Clary Fray is back home in New York, excited about all the possibilities before her. She's training to become a Shadowhunter and to use her unique power. Her mother is getting married to the love of her life. Downworlders and Shadowhunters are at peace at last. And - most importantly of all - she can finally call Jace her boyfriend.

The end of the Motal War - always a good thing right?! I mean really, and the best part is - Clary can finally call Jase her boyfriend.  YAY for love! Love is awesome! Isn't it? But there is always, always a price. 

5. City of Lost Souls: What price is too high to pay, even for love? When Jace and Clary meet again, Clary is horrified to discover that the demon Lilith’s magic has bound her beloved Jace together with her evil brother Sebastian, and that Jace has become a servant of evil. The Clave is out to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other. As Alec, Magnus, Simon, and Isabelle wheedle and bargain with Seelies, demons, and the merciless Iron Sisters to try to save Jace, Clary plays a dangerous game of her own. The price of losing is not just her own life, but Jace’s soul. She’s willing to do anything for Jace, but can she still trust him? Or is he truly lost?

Love has its price.  Finally together, and yet torn apart, when they meet again Jase is now a servant of evil.  However, can he be freed without the ruining of Clary's brother Sebastian?  Even still, is there anyway that Clary can trust Jace again?  Again, mixed reviews on this book, so ultimately when I get to it, we will see how things progress and if I'll enjoy it as much as some of my friends have. 

6. City of Heavenly Fire: Darkness returns to the Shadowhunter world. As their society falls apart around them, Clary, Jace, Simon and their friends must band together to fight the greatest evil the Nephilim have ever faced: Clary’s own brother. Nothing in the world can defeat him — must they journey to another world to find the chance? Lives will be lost, love sacrificed, and the whole world changed in the sixth and last installment of the Mortal Instruments series!

2014! That is the publication date of this sixth and final installment of this series.  Already people are anxiously awaiting the conclusion, to see if the Nephilim will be able to destroy and rid the Shadowhunter world of the greatest evil they have ever faced, Sebastian. Nailbiter to be certain.

This series is definitely on my TBR list and one of those that I'm giving into the hype to dip my toes into the waters of yet another fandom! 

No comments:

Post a Comment