Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Wish List Wednesday: Released This Week


Welcome to this week's Wish List Wednesday!  There have been SO MANY good books released recently, and so many good books that are coming out soon!  The books featured this week are books that I want to grace my shelves and further enrich my life, and the best part is they released this week!  Yesterday to be exact!  So, without further adieu, here is this week's wish list! 

Okay, I have to admit, this book grabbed my attention simply because of the cover and the title.  Like seriously, that title.  How could it not make you go huh?  Either way, this collection of stories by British author Helen Simpson is one that I would be proud to own.  Simpson writes with wit, candor, and warmth about the complexities of modern life and her collections have been compared to such authors as Flannery O'Connor and Alice Munro.  This book released 2/23 in paperback in the UK.  Its original release date was Nov 5, 2015 in Kindle format, physical copies were released this year.

Prose and I are good friends, as are poetry and I.  I love reading them. D.J. Taylor's The Prose Factory only logically would end up on my wish list.  This book is gossipy, entertaining and an all around fantastic read full of details and anecdotes about the great minds of the twentieth century.  It holds so many up for scrutiny.  I look forward to ultimately getting a copy of this book in my grubby little hands in any format.  Though hardback would be most appreciated...because look at that awesome cover! 

Of Love and Desire by Louis de Bernieres.  A collection of love poems that had been written over a lifetime and effectively capture love in its many forms.  There is rapture, infatuation, urgency, sorrow, heartache and disillusion.  This is de Bernieres' second collection and there are traces of many influence ranging from classical Persian poets, Neruda, Quintus Smyrnaeus, Brian Patten...and many others.  The illustrations, beautiful things, are done by Doland Sammut. 

Rick Riordan.  Percy Jackson.  Greek Gods.  Gods in general.  Synonyms.  Seriously.  I absolutely love the rich world that Rick Riordan created with the Percy Jackson series.  This book includes a full color illustration by John Rocco, who was a Caldecott Honoree.  In this particular book, the son of Poseidon adds his own magic - sarcastic asides - to the classics.  You get Percy's personal take on the Who's Who of the Ancients from Apollo to Zeus.  If you are expecting restraint from the son of Poseidon, you will be disappointed.  I love the cover on this book and I can't wait to see the pretty illustration from John Rocco! 

Okay, I've read some Gena Showalter before, namely Alice in Zombieland which I was kinda lukewarm on.  However, I'm willing to give her another chance with this new release.  Once I can get a copy in my grubby little hands...either through the library or purchase or gift.  Ya know.  With this book, it seems an interesting concept.  Life as we know it is a dress rehearsal...real life begins after death.  Yeah, you read that right.  Our heroine, Tenley "Ten" Lockwood is seventeen and locked in Prynne Asylum - not for the reason you might think (her obsession with numbers) but for the reason that she will not let her parents choose where she will live when she dies.  Yeah, that.  Two realms exist in the Everlife - Troika and Myriad...both want Ten.  It seems interesting and eventually I'll let you know how I like it! 

What books top your wish list for new releases this week, this month? 

No comments:

Post a Comment