Monday, September 30, 2013

Bibliophile's Wish List 9.29.13


Welcome to Bibliophile's Wish List.  

Bibliophile's Wish List is a showcasing of newly released books that have come out, that I eventually will be adding to my shelves in one format or another.  Every other week I will be showcasing anywhere from four to six books from releases that have released  the previous Tuesday.  They can be from any genre. 




I've read the first book in the <strong>Bad Girls Don't Die</strong> series by Kate Alender, and I quite like her writing style (I will be finishing the series somewhat soon), but this is her newest novel and fourth in her career.  Released September 24 in both hardback and kindle format and I am anxious to read this story!  The title first caught my attention, and I had a vague feeling that it would be something along the lines of <strong>Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer</strong>, which I actually enjoyed both the book and the movie, but this is a combination of French History and Jack the Ripper in my best assumption.

Here is a bit of the blurb:
Paris, France: a city of fashion, chocolate croissants, and cute boys. Colette Iselin is thrilled be there for the first time, on her spring break class trip.
But a series of gruesome murders are taking place around the city, putting everyone on edge. And as she tours the sights, Colette keeps seeing a strange vision: a pale woman in a ball gown and powdered wig, who looks like Marie Antoinette.
Colette knows her status-obsessed friends won't believe her, so she seeks out the help of a charming French boy. Together, they discover that the murder victims are all descendants of people who ultimately brought about Marie Antoinette's beheading. The queen's ghost has been awakened, and now she's wreaking her bloodthirsty revenge. 



Kat Falls is an author that I've only recently discovered, had the first book of her <strong>Dark Life</strong> series recommended to me by someone on <a href="http://www.goodreads.com">Goodreads.com</a> and will be checking it out as soon as I can get my hands on a copy of <strong>Dark Life</strong>, and ultimately I will be looking into her new series, and third career novel, <strong>Inhuman</strong>, which is the first book in the <strong>Fetch</strong> series.  I've always had a weak spot for post-apocalyptic thrillers, and zombies and the like.  This definitely fits the bill.  <strong>Inhuman</strong> released September 24 in hardback and Kindle.

Teasing from the blurb:
In the wake of a devastating biological disaster, the United States east of the Mississippi has been abandoned. Now called the Feral Zone, a reference to the virus that turned millions of people into bloodthirsty savages, the entire area is off-limits. The punishment for violating the border is death.
Lane McEvoy can't imagine why anyone would risk it. She's grown up in the shadow of the great wall separating east from west, and she's curious about what's on the other side - but not that curious. Life in the west is safe and comfortable . . . just how she likes it.



New horror books make me happy! Seriously!  This is by far one of my favorite genres and this is one of two new books in this genre that I will be sharing with you this week.  Zombies! Zombies make me squee like a fangirl - only if they are well written and can effectively scare the crap out of me or make me laugh! So, eventually, I will be checking out <strong>Good Night, Zombie</strong>.

Meet Carter, Esme, and Arnold, three students accidentally locked together inside an almost deserted school. They are not friends. They scarcely know each other. But In the basement, a mysterious night janitor waits. And outside, moving in the mist, dark shapes shuffle closer…



I told you, horror books make me happy.  This is the second one that I am sharing with you from that genre this week.  New Stephen King always, always makes me happy.  The Shining is one of my favorite King novels and ultimately when I heard he was coming out with this book I completely fangirl lost it! It was awesomely tragic, epically glorious!

On highways across America, a tribe of people called The True Knot travel in search of sustenance. They look harmless—mostly old, lots of polyester, and married to their RVs. But as Dan Torrance knows, and spunky twelve-year-old Abra Stone learns, The True Knot are quasi-immortal, living off the “steam” that children with the “shining” produce when they are slowly tortured to death.
Haunted by the inhabitants of the Overlook Hotel where he spent one horrific childhood year, Dan has been drifting for decades, desperate to shed his father’s legacy of despair, alcoholism, and violence. Finally, he settles in a New Hampshire town, an AA community that sustains him, and a job at a nursing home where his remnant “shining” power provides the crucial final comfort to the dying. Aided by a prescient cat, he becomes “Doctor Sleep.”
Then Dan meets the evanescent Abra Stone, and it is her spectacular gift, the brightest shining ever seen, that reignites Dan’s own demons and summons him to a battle for Abra’s soul and survival. This is an epic war between good and evil, a gory, glorious story that will thrill the millions of devoted readers of The Shining and satisfy anyone new to the territory of this icon in the King canon.


No comments:

Post a Comment