Sunday, August 25, 2013

What's On My Kindle? Cookbooks!

Welcome to the tenth installment of What's On My Kindle?
What exactly is What's On My Kindle?  This is my own little thing that I am going to be getting out every Sunday.  Within this post I'll list a few of the books that are currently on my TBR list on my Kindle.  Some are freebies (or were when I bought them), and others I paid for with gift cards, or had a few spare bucks to spend on a book.
All of them, I fully intend on getting to, at some point (and taking a massive chisel to my to-read list and hopefully hack it down to under 1000, again).

Okay, so the world of e-readers has opened up the market for digital cookbooks.  Having them ready, being able to have the recipe for that perfect dish right there on your Kindle, Nook, Kobo, and being able to pull it up with you when you get to the grocery store, or finding something new to cook for dinner. Some of my favorite free cookbooks come from the Circle of Friends series of cookbooks.

Taste of Home Summer Slow Cooker Recipes- Who doesn't love an awesome recipe to stick in the slow cooker/crock pot and have ready for you when you walk in the door from work.  One of the recipes that I want to try from this cookbook is:

Glazed Kielbasa
3 pounds smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1-inch chunks
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups ginger ale
Place sausage in a 3-quart slow cooker; sprinkle with brown sugar.  Pour ginger ale over the top.  Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through. Serve with slotted spoon.

Circle of Friends Cookbook - 25 Burger Recipes - Burgers.  Burgers are good.  Interesting burgers are even better right?  This book will provide you with twenty-five new and interesting burgers to spice up burger night.  Here's one that I want to try from this one:

Denise's Pizza Burgers
2 1/2 lbs ground beef
1/4 cup soft bread crumbs
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
10-12 pepperoni slices, quartered
1 tablespoon basil
1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon pepper
8 oz can pizza sauce, divided
8-10 kaiser rolls, split
8-10 slices mozzarella or provolone cheese
In a large bowl, mix together beef, bread crumbs, shredded cheese, pepperoni, seasonings and 1/4 cup of the pizza sauce.  Form into 8-10 burgers.  Grill over medium-high heat until desired doneness.  Warm remaining pizza sauce.  Serve burgers on kaiser rolls, topped with cheese slices and a spoonful of pizza sauce.  Makes 8-10 servings.

Circle of Friends Cookbook - 25 Meatloaf Recipes - MMmm...meatloaf.  One of my favorite meals.  However, I never make my meatloaf with the ketchup glaze on top - never really liked it that way anyway.  So, this book has provided me with some awesome takes on one of America's favorite dinnertime dishes.  Eventually, I want to try this one:

Cheese-Stuffed Meatloaf
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
15 oz can of spaghetti sauce, divided
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup soft bread crumbs
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
In a large bowl, combine beef, one cup spaghetti sauce and remaining ingredients, except for cheese.  Mix well, divide mixture into thirds; spread one-third in the bottom of an ungreased 9"x5" loaf pan.  Cover with half the cheese.  Repeat layers, ending with beef mixture.  Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Spread meatloaf with remaining sauce; bake for an additional 30 minutes.  Serves 4 to 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment