Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Review: Prudence


Title: Prudence
Author: Gail Carriger
Format: Hardback
Pages: 359
Date(s) Read: July 3-8, 2015
Rating: 5

Summary: 

Book the First in The Custard Protocol series.  We follow Lord and Lady Maccon's daughter, Prudence and her best friend Primrose on a trip from London to India.  The trip taken of course by dirigable, given to Prudence by her adopted father, Dama. However, when you are a metanatural (having the ability to take another supernatural's abilities with the merest touch) things very rarely go as smoothly as one would hope.  

Review: 

Okay, so I have read this one without reading all of The Parasol Protectorate series.  I will remedy that eventually, the books are on my TBR pile and will be gotten to eventually.  However, even with the minimal background I had about the individuals in this story, I truly did enjoy it.

It was within the first thirty or so pages that I realized that I was getting quite a few spoilers from the PP series, however, there has been enough time between reading this and the time that I ultimately get to the rest of the PP series that I will have likely forgotten them.  Don't judge me.  Yes, it is also killing my book OCD that I read a spin-off without finishing the ACTUAL first series. 

This story did get a bit ditsy for me, and the focus on proper fashion and reputation and things like that was not entirely unexpected for the time period that this is set in.  Steampunk, Victorian, etc it is quite expected for propriety and proper dress.  Prim tended to annoy the absolute crap out of me, but I did enjoy the character and how she interacts with Rue as well as her brother. 

The entire cast of characters were absolutely wonderful and entertaining.  I love the wit and snark between the quad on "The Spotted Custard," on their time in the air and even when they stop in various places along the way from London to England. 

I can understand some of the negativity that this book received, however, I can think that some of it might be around the hype for this particular book.  I went into it without all of that.  To be honest, the only reason I'd actually picked up the book initially from the library was the fact that I absolutely LOVED the cover, and to be honest I am a sucker for an awesome cover.  I was pleasantly surprised with the story, and definitely believe that this book is so much more than an interesting cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment